Saturday, June 28, 2008

More on Posting Images


Well, 3 different people contacted me about holes in my scheme for posting images on the web.


Here are the problems ...


If you grabbed the image in the last post by right-clicking on it and downloading it, you lost the file information.


It is trivial to crop out or blank out the visual copyright notice and someone -- like a school child -- could even do it with no evil intent.


It is also easy to rename the file -- ditto on the no evil intent thing.


It is easy to resize it to make it larger. You would not have as good a quality of an image as I started with, but you might not care.


No one so far actually managed to remove the digimarc information -- even with resizing, so that was good.


The little snippet of the file above -- which has been cropped, had its color changed and been scribbled on actually still has the digital watermark. So, if you are trying to actually use the image as is, the digital watermark is a little hard to get rid of. So that is good.


I thought that today, I would try to disable the right-click. So I looked that up. What I need to do is add a little bit of code to the HTML.


The bit of code is this:
oncontextmenu="return false;"
The way that I added it is to go into the HTML code and add the line just above right after
"img" tag. That is up in the top of the file with a bunch of hard to understand stuff. But it is right by the name of the file I uploaded so I can search on that to get close.

Like, all the other things I am doing, this won't stop someone who is determined. But it would help slow down people and make them think a little. Oh, and another bonus for this one, Blogger didn't have to resize the image I posted, so I still have my copyright notice in my file information on this one.

1 comment:

:Diane said...

Okay, the right click is disabled!
Hooray!