Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hi, I'm here now

Hi, here are a few things about me that are relevant to this blog

I am an artist, I like to make things that look interesting (to me) and beautiful (again to me.) Two things permeate most of my work. These are fibers and computers… thus the blog name – Thread and Pixel. It covers nearly all of what I try to do.

So, you say, what are you talking about?

Well, I like to make digital paintings. That is where I start with a blank screen on my computer, and a mouse and some graphics software, probably Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator and make an image. I am pretty proud of some of these and I have managed to have them shown in two different art galleries.

I also like to sew and I have been cheerfully making artist trading cards, or ATC’s, and trading them. These are tiny little cards, just the same size as baseball cards, that are individually made by an artist. I have made them using paper and also using fabric. I haven’t managed to put anything like this in a gallery yet – but I did teach a class on them to about 80 people.

I do a random assortment of other crafts, any of which might end up in here.

I worked as a computer programmer for fifteen years, so I find myself creating computer applications regularly. My parents just had their Golden Anniversary and so my latest big project was to create three Power Point slide shows of their lives so far. I ended up writing three Photoshop scripts to manipulate the photos and a program in Power Point that built the slide shows. It created a slide for each of the image files in a directory and added a caption for each of the slides. It had to read the captions from an Excel spreadsheet.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Welcome to the world of blogging. Looking forward to hearing about what you are getting up to

:Diane said...

Great start. Needs photos....
:o)

Rachel Murphree said...

Way to go, Margaret! Pics, please?!!!

TheMavenMaker said...

Your on your way but watch out blogging can be addictive.

maggie the graphics geek said...

Hey,
I'm working on pictures. I'll get there soon... and I'm hoping this gets addictive, my poor website hasn't been updated in eons.